Materials needed to make a weighted blanket & where to get them!
To make a blanket like this, you need:
- Fabric (as much as you need)
- Ruler/measuring tape
- Fabric chalk or disappearing ink pen, or even a pencil will do
- A scale that can measure out ounces
- I use a kitchen scale that we have
- You can choose batting that is one giant rectangle (like this quilting batting) and can be sewn in at the beginning. Or you can choose a typical less expensive batting that you pull apart and stuff into the blanket (you can buy at Walmart)
- Poly Pellets
- I have searched and searched for the best price on poly pellets. Ebay seems to be the best place for them. Sometimes you can score an awesome find and get them for $1.50 a lb. Lately, I best price I have found is $1.94 a lb HERE is a listing for them, what I like about these specifically, is tells you it can handle up to 250 degrees, so you KNOW these will be machine washable and able to dry in your dryer! You can also get them on Amazon, they are more expensive but you can get them with prime shipping. $2.50 a lb is the max I like to spend on these.
- Sewing machine, thread, scissors
- If you are in the market for a new sewing machine I LOVE my Singer Confidence machine. I have had it for 6 years and it still is running awesome. It has loads of cool stitches and has been very reliable!
- Paper, pencil & calculator to make a plan.
Time to Sew
Now that you have all your supplies, here is the video that shows how to make them! Please leave a blog post comment and I will try to help answer any questions that I can! Enjoy the video tutorial! You can also watch in in full resolution on YouTube by clicking the bottom right corner of this video.